Monday, April 28, 2008

Stuff from the trip

Cinderbelle and I got home last night. I drove 1,500 miles in five days. I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few.



Somewhere near beautiful Gary, Indiana on the I-90 Skyway. There were some even lovelier scenes, but I'm not too good at taking pictures and driving at the same time. By the time I got the camera out, I had already passed the sprawl of structures made of big black pipes spewing fireballs .




I stopped at my brother's house in Okemos, Michigan on the way there and back. It probably added an hour or so to my total drive time each way, but his house is almost exactly halfway and it was nice to stop and visit. This sign was somewhere in southeastern Michigan. I didn't stop there.




My youngest daughter likes these bridges. Or used to, anyway. So I took this picture for her.




Spring was much further along in Pittsburgh than it was in Madison. Oakland, which is where the University of Pittsburgh is located, has many, many redbud trees, which were in spectacular bloom. For some reason, I didn't take any shots of the redbuds, but here are some flowers outside the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. I think they might be tulips.




Inside, some orchids.








A koi pond.




A pretty tree outside the Cathedral of Learning (for all you Terry Pratchett readers, I prefer to think of it as Unseen University's Tower of Art, but the tower is unseen in this photo, as it should be. Or shouldn't be. Or.... ummm....)




The rare and ferocious Pennsylvania stubb-tailed squirrel, a genetic mutation caused by the magical run-off from Unseen University.




When I arrived in Pittsburgh, I hit construction and its accompanying Detour from Hell. It took me two hours to drive from downtown to Oakland, which should have only taken about 15 minutes. Leaving town I took a different route which passed through one of the finer neighborhoods, but only took about 15 minutes.




That's it for now. Maybe I'll bore you with a few more from the journey home later.

5 comments:

Suzy said...

Aren't you supposed to be watching the road when you drive?

Nice pix, though.

Ed said...

Did you forget that I'm a founding member of the HFDCA*?

Motto: If (your deity's name here) had meant for us to keep both hands on the wheel, why did (choose one: he/she/it/they/none of the above) give us knees?


* Hands Free Driving Club of America

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed,

I love your photos, especially the flowers. When are we going to get some flowers around here?

Beth

P.S. I hope you enjoyed your BD!

Suzy said...

Beth, we already got the daffs and forsythias -- but you probably blinked while they were in bloom. I'll bet your yard is starting to look beautiful ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed and Suzy,

Unfortunately, nothing is blooming in my yard. None of the crocuses or tulips came up, and those darn rabbits have eaten the rhododendrons down to little, stumpy nubs.

Beth